2021 University of Delaware Student Competition for
Geospatial Data Visualization / Map Design
UD students at all levels are invited to enter the university-wide competition for achievements in the art and science of mapping geospatial data. The competition is sponsored and administered by the Department of Geography and Spatial Sciences (GEOG) and the Data Science Institute (DSI) at UD.
- The map entry must have been completed between Sep 1, 2020 and Sep 30, 2021 (roughly, the past academic year)
- You do not have to be a student at the time of the submission, but you must have been a UD student when you completed the map
- Students may submit multiple entries, but may only win one prize
- Group work is eligible, but the maximum number of students working on a single map is two
Map entries are judged on clarity, originality, and creativity in both the art and the science of mapping, while appropriate use of geospatial data and technologies is a must. All entries are judged by an expert panel of geospatial data scientists at UD. The award will be announced near the end of October.
How to Submit
- Entries must be emailed to Andrea Trungold ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) by Oct 1, 2021
- An entry must consist of two parts:
- a static map in a common digital artwork format (e.g., pdf, jpg)
- a short statement (no more than one page), listing your name, academic affiliation, degree program (e.g., B.S., M.A., Ph.D.), primary email contact, and a concise paragraph (no more than 200 words) providing relevant background info about the map, e.g. its purpose, designed usage, highlights of mapping methods, any words of caution, etc.