UD researchers, including DSI Faculty Council member Henry May, are partnering with the Delaware Department of Education on an investigation of students’ equitable access and outcomes related to career and technical education throughout the state of Delaware.
UD Professor and DSI Resident Faculty Kyle Davis is part of a research group that recently published a study showing that increased competition for crops for other uses means a smaller fraction of harvested calories are available to feed people. As a consequence, harvests of crops for direct food use will be insufficient to meet the UN’s Sustainable Development Goal 2 (SD2) of food security for all by 2030.
A number of DSI faculty have been promoted, among them Resident Faculty Federica Bianco and Gregory Dobler, and Affiliated Faculty Jeffrey Buler, Mieke Eeckhaut, Hui Fang, Lena Mashayekhy, Teomara Rutherford, Frank Schroeder.
Sally Dodson-Robinson, associate professor of physics and astronomy and DSI affiliated faculty member, is leading UD’s role in an international space mission called “Twinkle” that aims to answer some of humanity’s greatest questions, including the age-old “Is anyone else out there?”
UD President Dennis Assanis speaks at the symposium on the future of data science at UD.
Serving as a nucleating effort to catalyze and coordinate data science initiatives at UD
- Coalesce researchers around Data Science research themes
- Develop competitive Data Science research programs
- Support Data Science and Computing Core Facility
- Engage students in Data Science research
- Collaborate with government and industry partners
As the vast resource of new and diverse datasets are rapidly becoming available in nearly every aspect of life, data science has the potential to advance human understanding in all branches of science and humanities, and, address grand challenges facing society. The Institute plans to combine disparate, dynamic, and distributed datasets and enable everything from predicting the future behavior of complex systems to precise medical treatments, smart energy usage, and focused educational curricula.
Resources and Funding Support
- Seed funding to support team-based research center grants, infrastructure grants and training grants
- Support researchers to identify cross-disciplinary collaborators and access to Data Science & Computing Core Facility
- Provide an inventory of data resources, computational tools, and data science-related courses/degree programs
Team Building and Networking
- Networking Events: Connecting faculty, students, industry
- Annual Research Symposium
- Seminars / Distinguished Lecture Series
- Research Workshops
- Short Courses and Training: Collaborating with academic programs
- Industry Engagement: Collaborating with OEIP and Horn Program