DSI Affiliated Faculty and UD Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Bert Tanner leads the new Center for Autonomous and Robotic Systems, which promotes collaborative and interdisciplinary work. Collaborations with DSI are already under way.
Twelve University of Delaware professors have won General University Research grants to work on a broad range of projects, including DSI Resident Faculty, Federica Bianco and Gregory Dobler, and DSI Affiliated faculty, Teomara Rutherford.
A UD team has partnered with a national research group dedicated to addressing America’s flood risk. The interdisciplinary team includes DSI Resident Faculty, Greg Dobler and Pinki Mondal.
UD President Dennis Assanis speaks at the symposium on the future of data science at UD.
Serving as a nucleating effort to catalyze and coordinate data science initiatives at UD
- Coalesce researchers around Data Science research themes
- Develop competitive Data Science research programs
- Support Data Science and Computing Core Facility
- Engage students in Data Science research
- Collaborate with government and industry partners
As the vast resource of new and diverse datasets are rapidly becoming available in nearly every aspect of life, data science has the potential to advance human understanding in all branches of science and humanities, and, address grand challenges facing society. The Institute plans to combine disparate, dynamic, and distributed datasets and enable everything from predicting the future behavior of complex systems to precise medical treatments, smart energy usage, and focused educational curricula.
Open Faculty Positions
UD invites applications for open-rank faculty positions in Data Sciences beginning in fall 2018.
Resources and Funding Support
- Seed funding to support team-based research center grants, infrastructure grants and training grants
- Support researchers to identify cross-disciplinary collaborators and access to Data Science & Computing Core Facility
- Provide an inventory of data resources, computational tools, and data science-related courses/degree programs
Team Building and Networking
- Networking Events: Connecting faculty, students, industry
- Annual Research Symposium
- Seminars / Distinguished Lecture Series
- Research Workshops
- Short Courses and Training: Collaborating with academic programs
- Industry Engagement: Collaborating with OEIP and Horn Program