UD President Dennis Assanis speaks at the symposium on the future of data science at UD.
Serving as a nucleating effort to catalyze and coordinate data science initiatives at UD
- Coalesce researchers around Data Science research themes
- Develop competitive Data Science research programs
- Support Data Science and Computing Core Facility
- Engage students in Data Science research
- Collaborate with government and industry partners
As the vast resource of new and diverse datasets are rapidly becoming available in nearly every aspect of life, data science has the potential to advance human understanding in all branches of science and humanities, and, address grand challenges facing society. The Institute plans to combine disparate, dynamic, and distributed datasets and enable everything from predicting the future behavior of complex systems to precise medical treatments, smart energy usage, and focused educational curricula.
Open Faculty Positions
UD invites applications for five open-rank faculty positions in Data Sciences beginning in summer 2018.
The Institute brings together faculty from all seven colleges across campus to work collaboratively in a wide range of topics in foundations and applications of data science. DSI faculty at UD combine expertise in statistics, computer science, mathematics, information sciences and numerous related fields.
Fostering interdisciplinary research collaborations among affiliated programs, centers and institutes cross campus
- Biden Institute
- Center for Applications of Mathematics in Medicine (CAMM)
- Center for Bioinformatics & Computational Biology (CBCB)
- Center for Political Communication (CPC)
- Center for Research in Education and Social Policy (CRESP)
- Center for Science, Ethics, and Public Policy (CSEPP)
- Delaware Education Research & Development Center (DERDC)
- Institute for Financial Services Analytics (IFSA)
- Seed funding to support team-based research center grants, infrastructure grants and training grants
- Support researchers to identify cross-disciplinary collaborators and access to Data Science & Computing Core Facility
- Provide an inventory of data resources, computational tools, and data science-related courses/degree programs
- Networking Events: Connecting faculty, students, industry
- Annual Research Symposium
- Seminars / Distinguished Lecture Series
- Research Workshops
- Short Courses and Training: Collaborating with academic programs
- Industry Engagement: Collaborating with OEIP and Horn Program