University of Delaware’s
Virtual Symposium on Computational Social Science
for an Inclusive Society
This one-day virtual symposium will draw upon the University of Delaware’s current institutional strengths & connections to provide a series of presentations, workshops, and panels on computational- and data-intensive social science resources and research. The lunchtime hour is reserved for virtual poster presentations and networking. Please consider joining us on October 2nd. To register for the Symposium, please follow this link.
Schedule: October 2nd, 2020
Note: Zoom Info Will be Distributed to Registered Participants Before the Event.
Please Be Sure to Register!
9:00 – 9:15: Opening Remarks from Charles Riordan, Vice President for Research, Scholarship and Innovation
9:15 – 9:30: Remarks from Robin Morgan, Provost
9:30 – 10:30: Introduction to UD Library Resources & Support for Data Management and Dissemination, Paige Morgan and the Library Research Data Steering Group
10:30 – 12:00: Concurrent Morning Sessions
- An Examination of Equity: Instructional, Research and Public Service Expenditure Comparisons for HBCU and non-HBCU Academic Departments From 2009 – 2019, Tom Eleuterio (Program Manager, Higher Education Consortium, UD) and Marcia Preston (Researcher, Higher Education Consortium, UD).
- How Do Journalists Use Data, and How Academics Can Help Us, Dawn Fallik (Associate Professor, UD, contributor to NPR and The Washington Post, and former medical reporter for The Philadelphia Inquirer), Andy Lehren (Senior Editor, NBC News Investigations Team and former New York Times investigations reporter), and Jennifer LaFleur (Data Editor for The Investigative Reporting Workshop and former Data Editor for ProPublica and Reveal).
- Medicaid Research Program, Katie Gifford (Associate Policy Scientist, CCRS), Katie Fitzpatrick (Associate Professor, UD), Becky McColl (Assistant Policy Scientist, CCRS), Erin Lynch (Assistant Policy Scientist, CCRS), Mary Joan McDuffie (Policy Scientist, CCRS), Eli Turkel (PhD Candidate, UD), and Navin Vij (M.D., Christiana Care).
- Human Subjects in the Context of Big Data Research, Maria Palazuelos (Director of Research Compliance, UD) and William Farquhar (Chair, Institutional Review Board, UD)
12:00 – 1:00: Lunch, Networking, and Poster Sessions
1:00 – 2:00: Funding Computational Social Science, Anshuman Razdan (Associate Vice President, Research Development, UD), Scott Mangieri (Director of Corporate & Foundation Relations, UD), Leigh Botner (Research Development Manager, UD), Michael Blaustein (Industry Liaison, UD), Faculty Panelists: Tammy Anderson (Professor, UD), Greg Dobler (Assistant Professor, UD), and Harry Jiannan Wang (Professor, UD)
2:00 – 2:15: Break
2:15 – 3:45: Concurrent Afternoon Sessions
- Data 4 Good, John McNutt (Professor, UD), Dana Holz (Research Associate, Center for Drug & Health Studies), Honorable David B.Carter (Councilman, 6th District, New Castle County), and Lauri Goldkind (Associate Professor, Fordham University and Faculty Affiliate, United Nations University).
- Computational Analyses of Social Texts-as-data, Tobias Lemke (PhD candidate, UD), Michael Habegger (PhD candidate, UD), A.R. Siders (Assistant Professor, UD), Danilo Yanich (Professor, UD), and Benjamin Bagozzi (Associate Professor, UD).
- Data Ethics, Federica Bianco (Assistant Professor, UD), Julia Lane (Professor, NYU), Tom Powers (Associate Professor, UD), Quintus Jett (Resilient America Program, NASEM), and colleagues.
- Analytic Methods and Machine Learning, Zachary Collier (Assistant Professor, UD), Eric Best (Assistant Professor, Penn State Harrisburg), Chandra Reedy (Professor, UD), and Gregory Dobler (Assistant Professor, UD), and colleagues.
3:45 – 4:00: Remarks on DARWIN and the Data Intensive & Computational Science (DICoS) Core, Rudolf Eigenmann (Director, DICoS Core).
4:00 – 4:15: DSI-sponsored Poster Award and Remarks from the Data Science Institute (DSI), Cathy Wu (Director, DSI).
4:15 – 4:30: Concluding Remarks, David Wilson (Senior Associate Dean for the Social Sciences, UD).
Register for the
Symposium Planning Committee
- John McNutt (co-Chair)
- Paige Morgan (co-Chair)
- Ben Bagozzi (co-Chair)
- Eric Best
- Federica Bianco
- Richard Braun
- Chuming Chen
- Susan Conaty-Buck
- Chase Cotton
- Greg Dobler
- Francis Eleuterio
- Kathryn Gifford
- John Huffman
- Jean-Philippe Laurenceau
- Teomara Rutherford
- Tibor Tóth
Supported by the University of Delaware’s DSI and DICoS Core